Dr. Mark Hyman on Feeling Better Through Functional Medicine
Today, we are joined by Dr. Mark Hyman, one of the most respected health & wellness experts on the planet – and one of the experts that experts themselves turn to.
Dr. Hyman is the founder of the UltraWellness Center, the Medical Director at Cleveland Clinic’s Center for Functional Medicine, and the ten time #1 New York Times Bestselling author of books like Eat Fat, Get Thin, Blood Sugar Solution, and the 10-Day Detox Diet. He is the medical advisor to both Bill and Hillary Clinton, the medical editor at the Huffington Post, and has been featured in just about every publication you can think of, from TED to NPR to CNN and more.
In this episode, we talk about… diet, nutrition, supplementation, and why over 70% of people are less healthy then they can and should be. We get pretty sciencey, and so I’m sure you’re going to learn quite a bit about your body, what it needs, and how it works.
Just a quick apology for the audio quality – as you’ll learn, my guest was away from the office, and so we had to make due with a cellular connection, but all in all, I think our audio editor has done a fantastic job cleaning things up and stitching them together.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The story of Dr. Mark Hyman's personal illness, and how it drove him to where he is today
- What is “functional medicine,” how is it different from other types of medicine, and why is it so exciting?
- From 1-10, how healthy is the average Westerner today?
- What is the biggest, lowest-hanging fruit when it comes to improving overall health?
- What is “FLC” syndrome, and how effectively does Dr. Hyman's practice reduce it?
- A discussion of paleo vs. vegan vs. other dietary frameworks and how they're similar
- How our thinking on fat and cholesterol has changed recently
- What about grains? Should we be eating them?
- Thoughts on meat, and whether or not we should be eating it
- What is the real culprit behind our sickness, inflammation, diabetes, and heart disease?
- What supplements does Dr. Mark Hyman advocate for absolutely everyone?
- What are the most common deficiencies in our society today?
- An explanation of the controversy between vaccinations, thimerosal, mercury, and autism
- What are the UltraWellness Center and the Center for Functional Medicine, and what do they do?
- The “Big Hairy Audacious Goal” that drives Dr. Mark Hyman
- What homework would Dr. Mark Hyman like to assign to you?
- Which experts does Dr. Hyman turn to? Who are his mentors and friends?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The UltraWellness Center
- Dr. Hyman's Books:
- Recommended multivitamins:
- Fish Oil Supplements
- Vitamin D3 Supplements
- Trace Amounts (Movie)
- Dr. Hyman's website