Acro Yoga Co-Founder Jason Nemer On The Intoxicating Practice That Heals Body, Heart, & Soul
Today, we are joined by a very special guest, and someone who, without knowing it, has dramatically improved my own life in the last half a year. His name is Jason Nemer, and he is the co-founder of and driving force behind the rapidly growing sport of AcroYoga.
Haven’t heard of it? Well… Acro Yoga is a partner acrobatic practice that combines elements of gymnastics, yoga, and thai massage to create an incredibly enjoyable and powerful experience. Far beyond just the physical exercise and fitness element, my own experiences with Acro Yoga have been deeply healing and uplifting emotionally and spiritually – for reasons that we’ll get into in the episode.
Today, Jason travels the world sharing this incredible practice with people everywhere. He’s been featured on The Tim Ferriss Show, Forbes, and more… and today, we’re very honored to have him here.
In this episode, we talk about… well, obviously, Acro Yoga… but much much more. We talk about what the practice is, and the surprising ways it will impact your life. We talk about trust and emotional health. We talk about how to start a global movement. We talk about learning… and much, much more. Personally, I think this was one of our best episodes ever – up there with our award-winning episode with David Heinemeier Hansson – but maybe it’s just the huge amount of admiration and gratitude I have for Jason and his work. Don’t know. You guys tell me in the comments or via twitter – @gosuperhuman.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Jason Nemer, and how did he become interested in acrobatics and gymnastics?
- What captivated him about it? Why is Acro Yoga so much more than acrobatics?
- What is the “origin story” of Acro Yoga, and how did it come to be?
- A discussion of how Acro Yoga became “viral” and spread so quickly
- What powerful and life-changing lesson did Jason Nemer learn at the Jr. World Championships at age 16?
- What has surprised Jason Nemer about the innovation and creativity of this movement?
- A discussion of the extremely fast learning curve with Acro Yoga
- How does Acro Yoga change your relationship with your body and mind?
- An explanation of why Acro Yoga offers just as much psychological and emotional healing as it does physical(!)
- Some deeply touching stories of how people have healed trauma through Acro Yoga and play
- Why does Acro Yoga make you feel so disproportionately “high” or happy?
- A discussion of the power of non-sexual touch, and why we need it
- My concept of “emotional fibrosis,” and how to get over it
- Who should and should not try out Acro Yoga?
- How can you try out and get started with Acro Yoga?
- What is Jason Nemer's “mission statement?” What is he working so hard towards?
- How does Jason stay motivated? What role does passion play in his life?
- What challenges is Jason Nemer facing right now in his business and in his movement?
- What role does money play in Jason's life? How has he reluctantly changed his views on it?
- What books have changed Jason Nemer's life?
- What products could Jason not live without?
- What rituals help Jason survive his hectic, nomadic lifestyle?
- A discussion of spirituality and what role it plays in Jason Nemer's life
- What is Jason's superpower?
- How can you take a class with Jason Nemer, and where can you reach him?
- The #1 biggest takeaway you should get from this podcast
Check out a sample of what Acro Yoga looks like:
…And an idea of what's possible:
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Acro Yoga Flight Manual & DVD
- Ninja Star (video)
- Divine Play Acro Yoga Festival
- Acro Yoga International
- Acro Yoga International on YouTube
- Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss
- The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu
- How Yoga Works by Michael Roach
- The Science of Ritual by Kelly Peters