Mitch Matthews on Goal Setting, Entrepreneurship, & How to Live Your Dream
This episode is brought to you ad-free by the Amazon Affiliate Program. Please consider using the links below or clicking here to shop on Amazon.
My guest this week is a keynote speaker, success coach and best-selling author Mitch Matthews. His new podcast, “DREAM. THINK. DO.” is at the top of the iTunes charts. He has worked with leaders and teams from organizations like NASA and Disney, and has coached thousands of people through Coach Training and Certification Program.
He’s passionate about helping entrepreneurs and leaders to dream bigger, think better and do more of the stuff they were put on the planet to do!
Mitch Matthews has built three successful businesses himself, and published the best-selling book IGNITE: 3 Simple Steps for Re-sparking Your Buried Dreams and Building a Plan That Finally Works. So, basically, dude is a freaking rock star.
You’ll quickly see in the interview that Mitch is a huge personality who just oozes charisma and joy. He really has a thousand watt presence, and he’ll inspire you before he even dives into the message itself. In the interview, he offers a ton of practical and easy-to-apply skills to help you identify and live your dream, as well as overcome the fear of failure or uncertainty. These range from goal setting to mentality shifts, as he and I dig into some of the habits and skills that differentiate successful and fulfilled people. If I may say so myself, it’s one of the more inspiring episodes we’ve had thus far.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What Mitch Matthews is currently working on
- The differences between extroverts & high-performing introverts
- Mitch's journey to becoming a leader & entrepreneur, starting at age 12(!)
- Leveraging a corporate job to develop skills and mediate risk before pursuing your dreams
- The misconceptions about entrepreneurship and risk held by a lot of “wantrepreneurs”
- Should everyone be an entrepreneur? Who should and shouldn't?
- The amazing origin story of Mitch's annual conference, The Big Dream Gathering
- The magical power of writing out your goals and dreams
- The importance of allowing yourself to dream, and the power of shifting your mindset towards it
- What are the few basic secrets to success?
- Mitch's insightful thoughts on what he calls “the intellectual immune system”
- Why we need to create ownership over the ideas and concepts we wish to integrate into our lives
- Some incredible success stories that have come out of the Big Dream Gathering
- Mitch's own system for goal setting and prioritization
- 3 books that have most inspired Mitch Matthews in his own life
- Mitch's #1 takeaway and advise for learning to live your dream
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The Lean Startup Methodology (We don't mention it directly, but it is closely related to risk mediation)
- The Customer Development Methodology (same as above)
- The Big Dream Gathering
- SMART criteria for setting goals & tasks
- Lessons From My 20's by Ryan Allis (must read)
- My bestselling course, Become a SuperLearner: Learn Speed Reading & Advanced Memorization (80% off)
- The Law of Attraction and a book that describes it, The Secret
- Getting Things Done, a very popular book by David Allen
- Things app for iOS and OS X
- Procrastinate on Purpose by Rory Vaden
- Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Daniel Pink
- Seth Godin and his many, many books, including Poke the Box
- Love is the Killer App: How to Win Business and Influence Friends by Tim Sonders
- Dale Carnegie's Timeless Classic: How to Win Friends & Influence People
- Mitch's Personal Website – Where you can get a free copy of the audiobook and the action guide
- Mitch's book IGNITE: 3 Simple Steps for Re-sparking Your Buried Dreams and Building a Plan That Finally Works
- The Dream.Think.Do Podcast