Ultra-Triathloner Luke Tyburski on Beating Depression & Developing Grit
This week, we are joined by Australian endurance athlete and motivational speaker Luke Tyburski. Luke is the subject of the new documentary, The Ultimate Triathlon, which documents his grueling journey towards completing the notorious Morocco to Monaco triathlon, a 2,000 kilometer, 12 day taste of hell on earth. To put it into perspective, The Ultimate Triathlon is the equivalent of swimming 500 laps in a 50 meter pool – then cycling the entire length of Britain, and then running a staggering 14 – yes, 14 – marathons. All in less than 2 weeks.
In this episode, I wanted to gain some insight not just into Luke’s physical performance and training regimen, but also into what goes on in the mind of a person who willingly subjects himself to such grueling conditions. How does he do it? Why? And what can we learn from it? Throughout the episode, we talk about endurance, goal setting, tenacity, and how you can learn to overcome even the toughest of physical limitations. Luke shares how he has been able to train himself to push past the breaking point, and there are a ton of great takeaways that are sure to inspire and motivate you.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Luke Tyburski, and how did he go from un-athletic, to a professional footballer, to ultra marathoner?
- Luke's battle with clinical depression – and how he came to realize that he suffered from it
- How did Luke Tyburski use ultra-endurance sports to overcome his depression?
- For the love of God… WHY, Luke… Why?!
- What were the 3 major factors of endurance sports that help you overcome depression?
- How did Luke establish himself as an adventurer and endurance athlete?
- What are the mental, physical, and financial challenges that have stood in Luke Tyburski's way?
- What's more challenging – the physical limitations or the non-physical ones?
- Could anyone learn to be as mentally tough as Luke?
- How does Luke Tyburksi motivate himself?
- A discussion of failure as a teacher, and how to learn from your failures
- The importance of having a tribe or community around you
- What are the daily skills, habits, and routines that Luke Tyburski does to optimize performance?
- What is Luke's dietary regimen?
- A discussion of mindfulness and how Luke uses it
- Thoughts on expectations and compassion for oneself, especially when you're not at a 10/10
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The Ultimate Triathlon, a documentary about Luke Tyburski
- Luke's website, LukeTyburski.com
- HeadSpace, an app for meditation