Why Yerba Mate is Nature’s Sacred Healer w/ Guayaki’s David Karr
Today, we’re joined by David Karr, Co-Founder and Chief Brand Cebador for Guayaki. You might recognized the name Guayaki for those bright yellow packages of teas called Yerba Mate in supermarkets everywhere.. and if you’ve been a fan of the show for a while, you probably know a bit about Yerba Mate, or have heard me recommend it for it’s powerful nootropics powers. Well, today, I wanted to interview someone who has devoted a good part of his life to sharing this plant with the world.
My goal for this episode was to explore Yerba Mate, a plant medicine that I’ve used and promoted extensively for the many benefits it offers, but of course, you’ll get much, much more from it.
Throughout the episode, we talk about Yerba Mate and it’s many health benefits, we talk about social entrepreneurship, business, life journeys, and much, much more. David shares his thoughts on how capitalism can be hacked to create and amplify social good, and also explains how he managed to build such a successful company from the ground up. It’s a fantastic episode, and I just know you’re going to get a TON out of it.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is David Karr, and how did he become interested in Yerba Mate?
- What is a “cebador,” and why is that word important for the company?
- What is Yerba Mate? Why is it special?
- How did David Karr become disheartened from business school from just one class?
- What was the role of Yerba Mate in helping David overcome chronic allergies?
- Why exactly is Yerba Mate such a powerful health and immunity booster?
- What are all of the things that Yerba Mate can help with?
- What does the research say about Yerba Mate?
- Is there a real reason why Yerba Mate is consumed the way that it is?
- A discussion of the social good efforts that are central to the Guayaki mission
- How (and why) is Guayaki so dedicated to reforesting, fair wages, and more?
- What has made David Karr such a successful entrepreneur? What's his secret?
- How does Guayaki's “capitalism for good” model differ from the old, broken paradigms?
- Are there any other skills, strategies, and habits that help David Karr operate at peak performance?
- What challenge is David Karr facing right now?
- What books have impacted David Karr's life?
- What homework would David like to assign to listeners for this week?
- How do you make a “Mate Latte?”
- What #1 takeaway would David hope for you to get from this interview?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Guayaki Mate products
- The 7 Supplements That Actually Make A Difference
- Mate Gourd & Bombilla set