The Healing Power of Psychedelics: Ayahuasca, LSD, Psilocybin & More w/ Dr. Dan Engle
Today, we are going to talk a bit about “drugs” – or rather, medicines. But not the drugs or medicines you’re thinking of.
In fact, we're going to be talking about ancient, psychedelic medicines, used for hundreds or even thousands of years by indigineous societies for spiritual exploration. You may have heard of some of these substances – things like ayahuasca, psilocybin, or MDMA.
What you may not have heard is how powerful they can be for personal growth and development.
On that note, we are joined today by Dr. Dan Engle, a board certified expert in Psychiatry and Neurology with a clinical practice in holistic medicine, orthomolecular psychiatry and integrative spirituality.
He is also Medical Director of Crossroads Ibogaine Recovery Center in Rosarito, Mexico and the Rejuvenation and Performance Institute in Sedona, Arizona.
In this episode, my objective was to learn more about the power of tribal medicines such as Ayahuasca and Ibogaine, learn how they affect the body, and see why it is that they're experiencing such a renaissance. But, as always happens, I got so much more out of this conversation than I could have possibly imagined.
It's a bit of a longer and denser episode. We go deep into the world of psychedelics, spiritual exploration, trauma recovery, and more. We geek out on neuroscience, and share incredible stories. It’s a bit of an unstructured conversation, but easily one of the most fascinating and engaging we’ve ever had.
By the way, you’ll notice that there are no ads in this episode. Instead, I wanted to connect with you guys a bit, share something that I feel is important, albeit controversial for people to learn about, and throughout the episode, I even open up a bit about things I've never shared publicly. I hope that this episode touches you, inspires you, and challenges your thinking – and if it does, I’d really appreciate if you dropped me a tweet or a review letting me know.
Just a quick disclaimer: As always, the SuperHuman Academy Podcast is intended for educational and entertainment purposes only. Nothing in this week's episode should be considered medical advice or any condonement for illegal substances of any kind. Be safe out there, people.
In this episode, we discuss:
- How did Dr. Dan Engle come to become one of the world's foremost experts on psychedelics?
- How Dr. Engle's life completely transformed after experiencing ayahuasca for the first time
- What exactly is ayahuasca? Where does it come from? How's it made? What is it used for?
- Do we actually know how ayahuasca works in the brain? And if not, is that a big deal?
- What is Dr. Dan Engle's biggest concern with the growing popularity of ayahuasca?
- What are the dangers and risks of something like ayahuasca?
- What do you need to look for in a shaman or guide? What causes things to get out of control?
- How does ayahuasca compare to LSD, psilocybin, or other psychedelic medicines?
- What is the safest way to start your spiritual exploration?
- Dr. Dan Engle's experience doing 10 hits of LSD (1000 mcg!!!)
- How is LSD more dangerous than other psychedelic substances?
- Who should absolutely NOT experiment with psychedelics under any circumstances?
- The idea that life is actually a “game,” and how to live with that understanding
- How do psychedelics heal you at a psychological level?
- What is the “pyramid” of psychedelics, and which medicines fall where?
- What negative outcomes have come out of the popularity of these medicines?
- If these medicines were all legal, how would they best be used and administered?
- A discussion of the perils of the war on drugs and why it should (and likely will) fall apart
- What are Iboga and Ibogaine, and why are they “Level 3” psychedelics?
- What does the data say about psychedelic therapies? How effective are they, and what are they used for?
- Which different ailments are each of the types of psychedelics effective at healing?
- Should everyone who is psychologically healthy experiment with psychedelics? Why or why not?
- Where should you get started, if you've decided to experiment with psychedelics? (Tons of practical tips!)
- Should you be concerned about long term effects? Does science know enough about it?
- How do psychedelic drugs change the bran and the neuronal patterns of the brain?
- Which supplements to take before and after a psychedelic experience to minimize the risks and side effects
- How can you get in touch with Dr. Dan Engle?
- What is the biggest takeaway from this episode, and one of the most important life lessons according to Dr. Engle?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Our previous episode on floatation tanks
- Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor Frankl
- Rick Doblin of MAPS
- Drugs and the Meaning of Life, an essay by Sam Harris
- The Psychedelic Explorer's Guide by Jim Fadiman
- IMHU (coaching organization)
- Being True To You (coaching organization)
- Temple of the Way of Light Ayahuasca Center in Peru
- Crossroads Ibogaine Recovery Center
- Onnit Labs, especially their “New Mood” product
- Full Spectrum Medicine