Resilience, Positivity, and Beating Guilt W/ Valorie Burton
Today we are joined by national bestselling author, international speaker, and life strategist Valorie Burton. Valorie is the founder and CEO of the Coaching and Positive Psychology (CaPP) Institute and her life-changing message has an intriguing, research-based emphasis in the pioneering field of applied positive psychology – the study of what happens when things go right with us.
Valorie teaches that resilience is a skill that can be learned – and anyone who wants to have fulfillment, high impact and success must learn it.
Now, in this episode, we go wide. We talk about having emotional resilience during these very troubling times of political, social, and economic unrest. We also talk about how to maintain positivity, and how to take care of yourself during these times.
And, of course, we talk about the topic of her new book, which is guilt, and how to let go of the subtle and small guilt, that is not only holding you back but, as I learned in this episode, is behind so many of the bad decisions that we make in our lives. Just by listening to Valorie speak, I was able to identify some of the really bad decisions that have led to a lot of unhappiness in my life, which, in fact, were not bad judgment, but guilt driving my actions.
I think this is a massive episode! I will inform you that I did lose my composure at one point during the episode… We went very deep and talked about some of the painful things that are going on in the world today, and both of us got really moved.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Valorie Burton, what does she do, and how did she get here? [4:00]
- What does positive psychology mean, and what does it include? [7:45]
- The connection between mindset and positive psychology [11:00]
- How does Valorie maintain hope throughout the current, very difficult times? [15:30]
- The social and political unrest of our times, and its impact on us [21:00]
- What is the difference between guilt and false guilt? [28:35]
- The guilt gender gap [31:30]
- What are the consequences of living with guilt? [35:20]
- How can you self-reflect when you are feeling guilt? [38:15]
- What are some things we can do to deal with guilt? [39:00]
- Where can you learn more about Valorie Burton and her new book? [45:00]
- Valorie Burton's final takeaway message [46:50]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Valorie Burton's books on Amazon
- Let Go of the Guilt: Stop Beating Yourself Up and Take Back Your Joy by Valorie Burton
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Valorie Burton's website