Build The World’s Most Valuable Network w/ Jayson Gaignard of MasterMind Talks
Today we are joined by Jayson Gaignard – quite possibly one of the world’s best networkers.
In 2012, Gaignard began curating dinners in Toronto, Canada with small groups of entrepreneurs that focused on relationship building. The invite-only dinners became MastermindTalks—larger conferences for entrepreneurs geared toward health, wealth, self-improvement, and networking.
Despite humble beginnings, Jason has grown mastermind talks into a world-renowned institution in the entrepreneurial space, hosting such greats as Tim Ferriss, James Altucher, A. J. Jacobs, Esther Perel, Dave Asprey, Guy Kawasaki, and Marc Ecko. In fact, Forbes described Gaignard as one of the top networkers to watch in 2015.
He’s also published a book and produces a podcast on the topic of network building.
In this episode, I wanted to learn more about how Jayson has built such strong ties with some of the world’s most influential entrepreneurs, and see if we can learn anything from his success. My father always told me that it’s not just about what you know, but also whom you know – and if that’s true, then both Jayson and his incredible skill set are definitely worth knowing.
Throughout the episode, we talk about the power of a network like Jayson’s for improving oneself, accomplishing one’s goals, and making a lasting impact on the world. Jayson also shares some very practical tips for building your own network and connecting with the people you admire. All in all, I think you’ll take a LOT away from Jayson’s success story, and his wisdom.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What has Jayson Gaignard been up to for the last year?
- How Jayson went from being a 17-year old dropout, to successful entrepreneur, to where he is today
- The story of Jayson's successful business, how it grew, and why he sold it
- The connection economy, and how Jayson Gaignard started with dinner parties
- The incredible story of how Jayson built a strong personal relationship with my role model, Tim Ferriss
- The idea of losing one's personal identity when they lose their job or company
- What HUGE risks Jayson Gaignard took when he was at his most vulnerable point
- Does Jayson have some kind of special superpower that has allowed him to do what he's done?
- How to avoid being “star struck” or weirding out celebrities when you meet them
- An awesome story of how Jayson built his relationship with Gary Vaynerchuk
- What are the biggest, most valuable outcomes that have come from building such a huge network?
- What is Jayson Gaignard's calling, his purpose, and where he fits into the world?
- How is MasterMind talks different from other events, and more selective than Harvard?
- The incredible story of how Jayson is getting to work with Hollywood mega-agent Shep Gordon
- Practical advice on how to connect with more influential and inspiring people in your own life
- The idea of curating your network, both in the real world and online
- The importance of doing work for free, mentorship, and volunteering
- How to conduct game-changing mastermind dinner parties to build your network
- Dealing with the flakiness of modern people
- What's next for Jayson Gaignard? What's he working on now?
- Where to reach Jayson Gaignard
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- MasterMind Talks, Jayson Gaignard's massively successful event
- Thought leaders Jayson knows personally:
- The Entrepreneurs' Organization (EO)
- Jayson Gaignard's Book, MasterMind Dinners
- Never Eat Alone by Keith Farazzi
- Aziz Ansari's comedy bit on flakiness
- Jayson Gaignard's Podcast
- Jayson's Twitter
- TED Talk on the power of loose relationships from a Harvard Study