John Lee Dumas on How to Make Millions Doing What You LOVE
Greetings, Superfriends, and welcome to this week’s show!
If you listen to any other podcasts besides this one, there’s a high likelihood you know ALL about today’s guest. Less than 3 years ago, he was doing commercial real estate, after bouncing around from the military, where he served in Iraq, to law school, to corporate life, to tech startups, and even commercial real estate. All this time, he was searching to find his calling, and eager to do something that both inspired him and inspired others. Sounds familiar, right?
Today, he’s largely and rightfully credited as one of the major names in podcasting, running what is probably the most successful daily podcast in the business, Entrepreneur On Fire. He’s interviewed all of the greats. He’s created successful products to teach tens of thousands, including myself, how to launch, grow, and monetize podcasts and webinars. He’s also transformed what it means to be financially independent, generating literally millions a year in revenues and profits.
In this episode, I had two goals. Because I’m currently publicizing a new course and podcast on personal branding to teach podcasters, authors, and online instructors how to go multi-platform, I wanted to get the absolute best tips for podcasting, hosting webinars, and of course, creating your own successful content ecosystem. Though of course, because this episode is first and foremost intended for the audience of the SuperHuman Academy podcast, I also wanted to squeeze out as much inspirational and motivational wisdom from the half hour as possible. I think I struck a nice balance, and that the episode is going to provide value no matter which angle you enjoy it from, but as always, I’d love to hear our feedback.
In this episode, we discuss:
- John's story of going from being unhappy in job after job to one of the top podcasters in the world
- Which one quote from Albert Einstein shaped John's life trajectory at age 32?
- The idea of being a person of “success” versus being a person of value
- How much of John's success has come from the lessons he learns from his guests, vs. just hard work?
- The importance of mentors, and where they play in to our success
- What are the most powerful lessons John has learned from his 1,000+ guests?
- A discussion on consistency and “showing up”
- Can everyone be a self-employed entrepreneur (and should they?)
- A breakdown of John's $200-500K a month in revenues
- How does John motivate himself, set goals, and establish priorities?
- John's top recommended book
- The biggest mistake John has made in building his business
- What's next for John and his brand?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- My episode on EntrepreneurOnFire (Link coming soon)
- SMART Goals, which I discuss at length in my SpeedDemon Course
- Pat Flynn, the host of of SmartPassiveIncome
- Podcaster's Paradise, John's industry-leading online course (Here's his free version, too)
- WebinarOnFire, another of John's courses (and a free version, too!)
- EOFire's Monthly Income Reports
- The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson
- EOFire.com/top10 – a list of the top 10 episodes
- John's Podcast and blog, EntrepreneurOnFire