How To Learn Music & Musical Instruments Faster w/ Josh Turknett
Welcome to this week's episode. Today we are going to explore a topic that really we haven't explored enough, and that is learning about music. We all know that music is so good for our brains, and we know that there are so many benefits to learning a musical instrument besides looking cool at parties. But how do we do it? And more importantly, how can we do it faster and more effectively?
Well today we are joined by Josh Turknett. He is the author of The Migraine Miracle. We talk a little bit about that, but more importantly, he's a neurologist and he's the author medical editor for The Journal of Evolution and Health. And, on top of all that, he's a musician and instrumentalist.
He's the founder of Brainjo, which is a system of musical instruction that really incorporates the Science of Learning and Neuroplasticity. And he's just all around a pretty interesting guy.
In this episode, we talk about learning, we talk about migraines a little bit, and then we go into and kind of geek out on the learning behind music. Can anyone learn how to play music? How can you accelerate your learning of music? How does it influence your brain? How does it change your brain? It does take us a little while to warm up and really get into the super nitty gritty of it, but I think it is going to inspire you and I think you're definitely going to learn a lot. I certainly got an incredible idea for how I could dramatically improve my memorization of new musical pieces…. And it was this common sense thing that I never thought of.
Hope you guys enjoy it!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Josh Turknett, and how did he get into the work he does today?
- How can “ancestral health” prevent or stop migraines?
- Why did Josh Turknett gravitate towards music, and how does he apply his neurological background towards it?
- Which embarrassing failure caused Josh Turknett to change the way he learned?
- How can you actually learn music & hack the process to do it faster?
- What is “musical fluency” and how can you achieve it? Do you need a teacher?
- What is “automaticity” and how can you achieve it faster?
- Why do most people fail at learning to read music?
- How can you turn your non-music brain into a musical one?
- The many ways that learning musical instruments actually improves the function of your brain
- One very powerful tip for improving memorization of songs and various types of music
- How should you get started if you want to get into music? Which instruments are best for beginners?
- Will Josh Turknett provide other courses to learn music besides banjo?
- Are there any other mental hacks that Josh Turknett does?
- A discussion of the roles of sleep & learning and how they relate
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Wired To Eat by Robb Wolf
- The Migraine Miracle
- Brainjo – Hacking the science of neuroplasticity (Josh's site)
- JTurk.net – Josh Turknett's website