Biohacker Jaakko Halmetoja: These Aren’t Your Average SuperFoods
Today, we welcome nutrition expert and public speaker Jaakko Halmetoja to the show. Jaakko is the host of InspiRadio Podcast and has spent the last few years popularizing unique uses of foods like chaga mushroom, chocolate, wild foods, berries, and medicinal herbs. He’s also the author of two books, including The BioHacker’s Handbook.
My goal for this episode was to go a bit wider with nutrition – far beyond the topic of paleo that we’ve covered before. I wanted to discover unique foods, unusual findings, and surprising takeaways.
In this episode, we talk about a wide variety of health and biohacking topics – from superfoods to unusual supplements and different ways to hack your body and mind. I really enjoyed his very holistic approach to nutrition and nutrients, which is so much less rigid and pinpointed than that of so many experts out there. My big takeaway from this episode was that it’s more about the big picture – the overall lifestyle and mosaic of what you eat and how you live, than it is about adding one specific compound, nutrient, or behavior into your regimen.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Jaakko Halmetoja, and how did he come to be an expert in the field of biohacking?
- What is Jaakko's diet and nutrition regimen? What does he eat that's unique?
- The Chaga Mushroom – what's the big deal, and how does it work?
- A surprising lesson about plant medicines, and why age matters
- Why are mushrooms such incredibly effective medicines for immunity, wellness, and more?
- How does Jaakko Halmetoja recommend consuming fungal medicines?
- What other “superfoods” has Jaakko discovered and researched?
- The importance of consuming fermented foods as a part of your diet
- How does chocolate rank as a superfood, and what do you need to know about selecting it?
- How does Jaakko Halmetoja feel about the word “superfood?” How about “organic?”
- Recommendations for improving your day-to-day consumption of nutrient-dense foods
- A discussion of domesticated plants, the supermarket culture, and some of it's dangers
- The difference between your body and a test tube
- What is The BioHacker's Handbook?
- Why has Finland become such a hotspot for biohacking?
- What are the top 2-3 bio hacks that Jaakko Halmetoja has done to his body?
- Who else in the industry does Jaakko look up to?
- What habits does Jaakko use to be more effective, and what is his “playbook of life?”
- What is the best $100 that he has ever spent on his health (surprising)
- A discussion of listening as perhaps the most important skill
- A very valuable takeaway message for the end of the episode!
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Mark Sisson
- Our previous episode with Tero Isokauppila
- Four Sigmatic Foods <== Use coupon code “superhuman” for 15% off
- Raw Cacao
- Chaga Mushrooms
- The BioHacker's Handbook <== download a free chapter here
- Dr. Rhonda Patrick
- Our previous episode with Wim Hof
- The Wim Hof Method Online Course
- The Muse headband
- Daniel Vitalis
- Start With Why by Simon Sinek