How To Achieve Financial & Location Independence W/ Shlomo Freund
Today we are joined by Shlomo Freund. Shlomo is an entrepreneur who, over the past 15 years, has slowly built the life he really wanted for himself, by conducting careful finances and creating a location independent lifestyle, with a good work & life balance and passive income streams.
You see, Shlomo started by building a successful company in China, and over time realized that what he wanted was a remote lifestyle. Today he helps people avoid the regular approach of making/saving money for its own sake and waiting until the end of life to be able to travel, see the world, and relax.
He and his wife, as he told me on the episode, are currently in Sri Lanka with their 3-year-old, traveling and working, and just enjoying life. I know a lot of you are really interested in remote lifestyles, but think that you need to have all kinds of skills and money to be able to travel, work, and live this kind of lifestyle – the truth is, that is wrong.
You can actually do this, you can actually become location independent, and you can actually achieve this incredible life of adventure – in this episode, you are going to learn how.
So, I really enjoyed the episode, it definitely inspired me to have some conversation with my fiancee, and I think you are really going to enjoy it as well!
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Shlomo Freund and what does he do? [3:50]
- How did Shlomo get here? [5:00]
- Why was remote living important for Shlomo? [6:50]
- What is money anxiety? [8:40]
- What does Shlomo mean when he talks about having a plan around money? [11:00]
- A conversation on using money to get free time vs working more [16:00]
- What types of investment does Shlomo prefer? [18:55]
- Debating the stock market [20:40]
- The taboo that exists around talking about money [24:20]
- Some homework for you by Shlomo Freund [27:35]
- How can you assess whether location independence is for you, and what is most often the biggest problem? [28:55]
- Resources for finding remote opportunities [32:30]
- Skills, habits, and routines that help Shlomo perform at a high level [35:35]
- Products or services that Shlomo can't live without [36:25]
- Some books that have impacted Shlomo Freund's life [37:35]
- How to get involved in the FIRE movement [38:45]
- What are the best 100$ Shlomo has ever spent? [39:50]
- Where can you find more about Shlomo Freund? [41:15]
- Shlomo Freund's takeaway message [42:00]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Our previous episode with Buck Joffrey
- Shlomo's Worth Calculator
- Nomad List
- Remote: Office Not Required by David Heinemeier Hansson and Jason Fried
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
Your Money Or Your Life by Joseph R. Dominguez, Monique Tilford, and Vicki Robin
- Sri Lanka: the New Country by Padma Rao Sundarji
- ChooseFI Facebook Group
- Firehub EU
- Shlomo Freund's website
- Shlomo Freund's Social Media accounts:
Thanks, I learned a lot of interesting things in past episodes.
loved th heart and the depth of the conversation. The way that Dr. Metivier shared from his enormous experience and insights was just amazing. Thank you Jonathan for doing this podcast!! 🙂
Great interview with Dr. Greg Wells! He mentioned a doctor from Colorado around the 42:30 point of the podcast, discussing turmeric and black pepper. I couldn’t make out the doctor’s name. Can you provide me with his full name and maybe his website or contact info. Interested in his products.
I am new here, and learning really fast.
Maybe oarts of the things he has to share are right, maybe not. If I look at him which impact his nurturing and living style has on himself I see a very old looking man! He is year 1973!! That is not old and he looks definitly much older!! If I would not know his birthyear I would guess that he is in his mid-60ies!! A bit concering for someone who claims his lifestyle is suitable for a long life, isn’t it?
Thanks in favor of sharing such a nice idea, post is good, thats why i have read it completely
Asking questions are genuinely good thing if you are not understanding something completely,
except this piece of writing offers good understanding even.
Excellent, insightful, efficient
This post is truly a fastidious one it assists new net
viewers, who are wishing in favor of blogging.