Daniel Gefen On Self Help Addiction and The Importance Of Taking Action
Today we are joined by Daniel Gefen, whom you may have seen before in Inc, Forbes, CIO, or Influencive. Daniel is a number one international best-selling author, and one of the top 25 influencers of 2017. He is also a serial entrepreneur and the author of The Self Help Addict.
Beyond these, Daniel is the founder of the Gefen Media Group, he is a big name in podcasting, and, obviously, in self-help. He was actually introduced to me by a mutual friend of ours that I admire very much, Cameron Herald, and it turns that we live not very far apart here in Israel. We are both living the global lifestyle and living in our country of choice rather than our country of birth.
In this episode, we talk about entrepreneurship, but we also talk about something that we haven't talked about on the show before, which is self-help addiction. This is the tendency we all have to listen to another podcast and read another book, and then take another online course and go to another meetup, without actually doing anything with the knowledge. Always chasing that next high, that next piece of information that's going to change our lives.
I definitely identified with it, I definitely saw myself in a lot of what Daniel said, and I definitely think that there is something to consider here for all of us who are addicted to self-help, which is how much we are actually implementing versus just chasing the next thing.
I think you guys are really going to enjoy the episode, I definitely learned a lot myself.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Daniel Gefen, what does he do, and how did he end up doing that? [6:00]
- How Daniel transitioned to podcasting [8:50]
- Does Daniel's day nowadays include any work in his first business? [9:50]
- Daniel's personal story that led to The Self-Help Addict [10:55]
- We are consuming continuously instead of taking action[13:00]
- Is there a way to get off self-help addiction? [14:50]
- What helped Daniel Gefen get unhooked from his self-help addiction? [15:30]
- Taking action first is the best (and only) way to achieve things [17:00]
- Self-help addiction is not describing everyone [20:00]
- You should take action the moment you feel inspired to do so [21:00]
- There is no need to commit, and no need to worship others [25:55]
- Don't be afraid to stand on your own pedestal [29:00]
- You don't know how things will unfold [29:50]
- Setting a big goal does not guarantee results [33:15]
- What is Daniel's take on the importance of knowing your why? [35:10]
- Why does DanielGefen believe that there are 2 sides to the story of success? [36:00]
- You should accept your current reality, and still find the reason to grow [38:00]
- What are some SuperHuman habits Daniel Gefen utilizes? [41:00]
- The importance of connecting with your inner child [41:40]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Jet virtual
- The Self Help Addict by Daniel Gefen
- Gefen Media Group
- Can I Pick Your Brain?
- DailyVee by Gary Vaynerchuk
- The Willpower Instinct by Kelly McGonigal
- Our previous episode with David Allen