Discovering the Magical Power of Medicinal Mushrooms w/ Four Sigmatic’s Tero Isokauppila
Welcome to today’s show, where we’re going to talk about magic mushrooms.
Not those kind of magic mushrooms.
But still, pretty magical.
That’s because today, we’re joined by a 13th generation mushroom farmer turned entrepreneur and biohacker from Finland.
…I couldn’t make this stuff up if I wanted to.
Through his company, Four Sigmatic Foods – Click for a 15% off discount, today’s guest is working hard to bring the ancient wisdom of mushrooms and their nutritional and medicinal benefits back into the modern era. There are a ton of health benefits which we’re going to learn about in the coming hour, but beyond just that, for every product you buy, they donate a portion of medicinal mushrooms to a cancer patient in need. Pretty cool, if you ask me.
Since meeting him at Summit at Sea, I’ve been enjoying a ton of Four Sigmatic’s products – click for a 15% off discount!, and I have to say, I think there is really something to what they’re doing, and I’m really enjoying exploring the different types of magical potions they offer.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Tero Isokauppila, and where the heck did I find him?!
- What is “Four Sigma,” and why did Tero name is company after it?
- Learning about the Fungi kingdom, and debunking some common misconceptions
- What percentage of pharmaceuticals are derived from mushrooms (shocking!)
- What are the different ways that mushrooms can boost our health? (very surprising)
- Which mushrooms have nootropic effects, and how do they work?
- What are adaptogenics and polysaccharides, and how do they improve our health?
- How mushrooms work, grow, and why they're so rugged and durable in nature
- Which mushrooms make you a better athlete, and how?
- What is the Chaga mushroom and how does it protect our bodies?
- Can you just buy these medicinal mushrooms in the store and eat them?!
- What are Tero Isokauppila's favorite mushroom products, and the ones he uses?
- How can mushrooms stimulate nerve growth factor – and which ones do it?
- How does coffee stack up to other nootropics?
- How Tero Isokauppila spends $30,000-40,000 a year on whole foods(!)
- The sanskrit concept of “neti neti”
- An exclusive 15% off coupon
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Four Sigmatic Foods Websites: USA | International
(These special links will apply the 15% discount code mentioned in the show. Just in case they don't, you can use the code “superhuman”)
- Lion's Mane
- Mushroom coffee
- Mushroom hot chocolate
- Chaga elixir
- Mushroom breeds mentioned:
- Hericenones and Erinacines
- Four Sigmatic Foods' Science Page
- This article on mushrooms in the Huffington Post
- Our previous episode with Jesse Lawler
- Paul Stamet's TED Talk on mushrooms
- Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora
- Google “Santa Claus mushrooms” and see the story behind it 😉