Cédric Waldburger On Minimalism And On How To Deliberately Live Your Life
Today we are joined by Cédric Waldburger. Cédric, to whom I was recently introduced by a very good friend, is originally a Swiss national, who today travels the world all year round and lives with only 64 things in his possession!
Cédric is passionate about startups. and thus he is a serial entrepreneur, an investor, and a blockchain enthusiast. He is currently working on a number of different startups, including DFINITY, a venture-backed blockchain startup, and another one, that you are going to hear about, that I think is equally as interesting.
Cédric has also co-founded a number of businesses around the world from Zurich, New York, Paris, Hong Kong, London, and Berlin, and he's held roles in the technology management side for the better part of 2 decades. He is all about growing business, but that's actually not what we spend the majority of the conversation talking about.
What we talked about for 80% of the time was the level to which Cédric optimizes and deliberately thinks about his life and the way that he is living it. He is deliberate about everything he owns, about everything that he does, and also about everything that he thinks and feels.
I think it's a really fascinating approach to life, and I love the message at the end of the podcast, where he explains what the point of it all is, and why he puts so much effort into leading the perfect life.
I think you guys are really going to enjoy this episode, as I certainly did. As I said, Cédric has quickly become a personal friend of mine, and I think that you guys are very quickly going to understand why.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Greetings and a little bit of a backstory [5:20]
- Who is Cédric Waldburger and what does he do (and how many things does he own)? [6:10]
- Reducing unnecessary decision-making through reducing color options [7:40]
- How did Cédric Waldburger get to owning just 64 items? [8:40]
- How renting stuff can be better than owning them [10:20]
- Finding multiple purposes for each item, and also finding items that have multiple purposes [11:45]
- What are Cédric's favorite items? [12:30]
- We should receive joy from meeting people and enjoying conversation, not from items [13:50]
- Why did Cédric Waldburger start tracking every second of his life [14:40]
- Could life tracking get automated? [17:05]
- Extracting insights from the data Cédric is gathering [17:45]
- A conversation about fitness trackers and heart rate tracking [19:20]
- Why Cédric has chosen to live his life deliberately [20:30]
- Why is the primary focus for Cédric avoiding regret? [23:05]
- Steps you can utilize to live your life more deliberately [25:10]
- Applying the same principle for decluttering items to projects [28:00]
- What are the projects Cédric is going to stick with? [29:15]
- Why location decentralization is important, and how it can change the world [30:40]
- A conversation around the productivity app Cédric Waldburger is working on, Sendtask [34:00]
- The simplicity of creating tasks from everywhere [36:45]
- SuperHuman hacks Cédric Waldburger is using in his own life [38:50]
- Where to find more about Cédric Waldburger [41:45]
- Cédric's most important takeaway message [42:25]
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- List of Cédric's 64 items
- Cédric's website
- DJI Mavic Drone
- Fitbit Charge 2
- Our recent episode with Tim Urban
- Glimpse Performance Insights
- Our second episode with David Heinemeier Hansson
- Basecamp, Asana, and Trello
- Blinkist review by Satori Webmaster Academy.