How To Optimize Your Performance Like The World’s Top Athletes w/ Expert Dr. Greg Wells
Today, we are joined by Dr. Greg Wells, a physiologist, scientist, broadcaster, and author. Dr. Wells has dedicated his career to understanding human performance and how the human body responds to extreme conditions. Throughout his career, Dr. Wells has coached, trained and inspired dozens of elite athletes to win medals at World Championships, the Commonwealth Games and the Olympics. He has studied athletic performance in some of the most severe conditions on the planet, like the Andes Mountains and the Sahara Desert.
Dr. Wells is also the author of Superbodies: Peak Performance Secrets from the World’s Best Athletes, which explores how genetics and DNA, the brain, muscles, lungs, heart and blood work together in extreme conditions, and, he has a new book coming out soon called The Ripple Effect
In this episode, we talk about a really wide range of fascinating topics, from sleep and nutrition to exercise and peak performance habits. We uncover some surprising things that you may not realize are influencing your overall physical and mental performance, and even go into some cool tools and strategies you can implement right away. I really, really enjoyed this conversation, and I think you will, too.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Who is Dr. Greg Wells, and how did he get to where he is?
- Who are some of the most notable folks that Dr. Wells works with, and what does he do with them?
- What makes elite athletes perform at such a high level?
- What are the sleep habits of the world's top athletes?
- What is the dietary regimen of some the world's top athletes? How do they plan it?
- How much do genetics matter, and how much of that can we actually influence?
- What is a “fitness set point” and what does it mean?
- What are the most specific and impactful behavioral changes that you can make to improve performance?
- A discussion of meditation and how it actually improves physical performance
- The importance of heart rate variability, what it means, and why it's so important
- What is the #1 top thing that Dr. Greg Wells saw that differentiated the athletes that won Olympic medals?
- One performance experiment you can try today
- What 3 things can we learn from the performance of athletes in the most extreme of conditions?
- What is “The Media Psychology Effect,” and how is it influencing your performance?
- What supplements are athlete athletes using or not using, and why?
- A discussion of magnesium and turmeric supplementation
- What is Dr. Greg Wells' new book about?
- What does Dr. Wells think about milk and dairy?
- What products or services could Dr. Greg Wells NOT live without?
- What homework would Dr. Wells like to assign to you guys?
- What's the #1 takeaway for this episode?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Dr. Greg Wells' first book: Superbodies: Peak Performance Secrets from the World’s Best Athletes
- Our previous episode with Dr. Kirk Parsley
- Beta Alanine supplements
- Epsom bath salts
- The Ripple Effect, Dr. Greg Wells' next book
- iPad Pro
- Become a Speed Demon (My course on productivity and automation)
- Our previous episode with Alex Charfen