How the Paleo Diet (and Movement) Will Change Your Life with Top Authority Robb Wolf
Today, we have a huge treat for you – though it’s a paleo-friendly treat. Over the next two months, we will be doing a 3 (or maybe 4) part series on paleolithic nutrition and the paleo diet. Though we’ll be spreading these episodes apart to provide a little variety in between, we’ll nonetheless be interviewing the 3 or 4 of TOP experts on the paleo diet, each approaching it from a different angle.
This week, we start with the biggest name in Paleo, and in my mind, the guy who popularized it and made it into a movement: Robb Wolf. He’s a former research biochemist. He’s the NYT bestselling author of The Paleo Solution. He is a student of Loren Cordain, the originator of the Paleo diet. He runs one of the top ranking podcasts on iTunes. He is co-owner of one of the most influential CrossFit boxes in the world, one of the top 30 gyms in America. He serves on the board of numerous health-related companies… Oh, and on top of all of this, he’s a former California State powerlifting champion, and a recovering vegetarian. His incredible story is matched only by the massive influence he’s had on millions of lives!
So, let me fill you in on the episode a bit. First off, like many episodes, we really get into the weeds and geek out a lot. But, you guys are smart! You can handle a little sciencey stuff.
You’ll probably be able to tell that I’m a huge fan of this particular guest’s work, and so I tried to squeeze in as much good stuff as possible – and managed to get a lot of great great stuff in. You’ll immediately see that he has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things health, nutrition, metabolism, fitness, strength, and more… I also have to say that my guest was incredibly generous with his time, and so it’s a nice long episode that goes into a ton of different subjects. We go way beyond just paleo nutrition, and I know you’re going to LOVE this episode. If you do, as always, make sure to tell me what your favorite part was on twitter – our handle is @gosuperhuman.
In this episode with Robb Wolf, we discuss:
- Robb Wolf’s journey to become one of the biggest names in the Paleo and CrossFit movements
- What exactly is the “Paleo diet” and what are the broader implications on our lives?
- How “Paleo” is supported by archeology, biology, and anthropology
- Do different populations have different responses to things like rice or starch?
- Misconceptions about the life spans and quality of life of our paleolithic ancestors
- “Grandmother theory,” and why human life spans are different from other animals
- What’s the big deal with gluten and other anti-nutrients in things like quinoa, millet, or beans?
- What carbs are recommended in the paleo diet, and why?
- How should you approach the paleo diet, and how can you test it out?
- The 80/20 rule (or Pareto’s Principle) and how it applied to paleo
- Thoughts on modern, selectively-bred fruit – should we be eating it?
- Adaptability, trial and error, and how to modify the template to your own needs
- Do humans need to eat carbohydrates? Should they? If so, why?
- What has Robb learned in the 6 years since his book was published?
- Detailed thoughts on specific foods like hummus and kombucha (my favorites)
- How do we asses whether or not a specific food is working for us?
- The hormones that give our body a sensation of satiety, and how they work
- Organic vs. non-organic. What's the straight dope, and why does it matter or not matter?
- Grass-fed meat: how important is it, and why?
- Misconceptions on the “high protein” aspect of paleo
- What's the big deal with Omega-3 and Omega-6's, and what should you beware of?
- Which supplements does Robb Wolf believe everybody should be taking?
- Thoughts on Vitamin D, why it's so important, and how it relates to sun exposure
- Eating local, sustainability, and how it all fits together
- Should you be eating dairy? Is it part of the paleo diet?
- Are artificial sweeteners bad for you? If so, which ones?
- A look into how Robb Wolf works in his clinical practice with top-tier athletes and performers
- Some insights on how Robb is raising his 2 daughters
- Debunking the myths that fat and protein cause cancer
- Thoughts on cholesterol, and what you should tell your doctor to test for
- Robb's opinions on having a “cheat day”
- What is Robb's opinion on health insurance?
- Robb's #1 piece of homework that you should do this week
- What Robb is working on now
Resources Mentioned in This Episode on the Paleo Diet:
- Robb Wolf’s incredible book, The Paleo Solution
- Robb Wolf’s website and podcast about the Paleo diet (and much more)
- Art De Vany, an early influencer of Robb’s
- Robb’s best-known gym, NorCal Strength and Conditioning
- Future guest Dr. Loren Cordain and his blog, The Paleo Diet (highly recommended)
- Rhonda Patrick’s podcast, FoundMyFitness
- Richard Lee’s book, The !King San: Men, Women and Work in a Foraging Society
- Weston A. Price’s book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration
- The Slow Carb Diet advocated by Tim Ferriss in The Four Hour Body
- Chris Kresser, a friend and influencer of Robb’s
- Adam Richman's ice cream challenge on Man vs. Food
- The Savory Institute and Alan Savory's TED Talk
- Fish Oil Supplements
- Michael Eades' book, Protein Power
- Our episode with Nick Littlehales on sleep
Favorite Quotes from Robb Wolf: