Robb Wolf on How We Are Wired To Eat – And How To “Rewire” Your Body For Optimal Health
Today we have a very special treat, as we’re happy to invite back one of my favorite thought leaders, podcasters, and authors for a second time on the show. The guest is Robb Wolf, and he’s the NYT bestselling author of The Paleo Solution, the host of the Paleo Solution Podcast, and widely regarded as one of the absolute top authorities in the world of diet and nutrition.
Robb joins us today to talk to us about his latest, much-anticipated book, Wired to Eat: Turn Off Cravings, Rewire Your Appetite For Weight Loss, And Determine The Foods That Work For You. You guys, I have to say, that I so enjoyed Robb’s previous book, that I quite nearly broke my own rule about not reading advance copies before the interviews.
In this episode, we talk about… understanding variance, a framework for diagnosing what works for you, blood glucose monitoring, how much carbohydrate is too much… we went really deep into the nitty gritty, and yet once again, we only scratched the surface of Robb’s tremendous knowledge. I now really understand why writing this book was so necessary.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What has Robb Wolf been doing for the last 6 years since he published The Paleo Solution?
- How did Robb save the city of Reno $22M with a 33:1 return on investment?
- What is Wired To Eat about, and why is it important to read?
- What are Robb Wolf's thoughts on how the “Paleo” movement has grown and gone mainstream?
- A discussion of the evolutionary dynamics behind how and why we eat
- What are “optimum foraging strategy” and “palette fatigue” and how has it caused problems for us today?
- Who is this new book for? Who is it not for? And what does it cover?
- How can you go about “re-setting” your body in a quantifiable and personalized way?
- All of the other factors that you need to consider alongside diet & nutrition, and how they fit in
- Where does customization, personalization, and per-person specificity fit in to all of this?
- How did Robb Wolf come to change his thinking on customization?
- What are the factors that contribute to the variability from person to person?
- What are the “4 pillars” that Robb has identified for optimizing health?
- What kind of carbohydrates has Robb seen people add back into the diet with great success?
- Robb's surprising experiments with wearing a continuous blood glucose monitor
- What is Robb's recommendation for blood glucose numbers? And why?
- What is Robb Wolf's take on “cheating” and “cheat meals?” Does he do them?
- A discussion of how your relationship with food speaks to your psychology and trauma
- What are Robb's thoughts on ketosis as a tool, and why does he feel that way?
- What homework would Robb like to assign the audience to practice this week?
- What tools and resources could Robb Wolf simply not live without?
- What will Robb Wolf's next book be about? And Why?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Wired to Eat, Robb Wolf's new book
- The Paleo Solution, Robb Wolf's previous book
- The Omnivore's Dilemma
- Our 100th episode summary
- Chris MasterJohn's short videos
- The 4-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss
- BluBlocker sunglasses
- F.lux software
- Our previous episode with Dr. Kirk Parsley
- Our previous episode with Nick Littlehales
- Where to find Robb: