Gary Taubes: How Bad Science Made The World Obese
In this episode, we discuss:
- How did Gary Taubes become interested in “bad science,” public health, and nutrition?
- How did the entire world become so misinformed about nutrition and diet?
- Who was Ancel Keyes, and how did he damage the health of billions of people?
- What was the McGovern commission, and why did it lead to even more misinformation
- How much of this was corruption, and how much was incompetence?
- Are things actually changing? Have we as a society woken up?
- What has been the role of the internet in spreading truthful health information?
- A discussion of how doctors often lead people astray, even when they lost weight
- What about the Atkins Diet? Why did doctors reject it?
- How is the lipid hypothesis and nutritional misinformation like a religious cult?
- Thoughts on the McDougall Diet, a high-starch, low-fat diet
- How is the science around the paleo diet? Is it more substantive & reliable?
- What does Gary Taubes eat? What does he NOT eat?
- A discussion of ketogenic diets, and where the science points on it
- Where does insulin resistance fit in, and how does it work?
- What is The Nutrition Science Initiative, and why is it so important?
- What “big” takeaway would Gary Taubes hope for you to remember for the rest of your life?
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Ancel Keyes (Wikipedia)
- The McGovern-Fraser Commission (Wikipedia)
- The Atkins Diet
- The McDougall Diet
- Why We Get Fat
- Good Calories, Bad Calories
- The Nutrition Science Initiative
- The Case Against Sugar, Gary's latest book