America’s #1 Trainer Ben Greenfield on Designing Your Ideal Exercise, Nutrition, & Supplement Regimen
Howdy, superfriends! Welcome to this week’s show. Our guest today is Ben Greenfield, the New York Times Bestselling Author of “Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance, Health, and Life,” as well as about 30 other books on how to feel and become SuperHuman. He’s been nominated as one of the top personal trainers in America, and has been voted among the top 100 most influential individuals in health and fitness for the last 2 years.
He also runs one of the top-ranked health and fitness podcasts on the web, where he continues to explore functional exercise, nutrition, and human performance overall. You’ve probably already seen him or his work in the Huffington Post, WebMD, Men’s Health, Shape, NBC, Fox… the list goes on and on.
One of the things I enjoyed most about this interview is that Ben does NOT talk down to you guys as an audience. He is direct, to the point, and not at all afraid to get technical and really hit you with some of the hard science. We talk about the ideal mix of exercise and movement for a healthy life, determining the right diet for you, supplementation, and just generally how to look, feel, and perform your best. It’s a quick interview, and packed with knowledge. Just one caveat / apology, the interview does have a very abrupt ending, as my guest and I were disconnected towards the end and ran out of time while trying to reconnect. We’ve edited it the best we can, but please forgive the less-than-polished ending.
Please help us cover the (growing) costs of producing the show by checking out our sponsors:
This episode is brought to you by Onnit. From their awesome fitness equipment to their ultra-high-quality health supplements, Onnit offers an entire range of products to help you become superhuman. Use coupon code “GETONNIT” to save 10% Today!
This episode is also made possible entirely by Fiverr, not just because they help us cover our expenses, but also because all of our music, intros and outros, and even our editing is actually done through fiverr. We rely heavily on their endless availability of different services all available from just $5.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Altitude training vs. normal training and the role of tryptophan
- Why Ben Greenfield is anti-gym
- Body weight vs. weighted exercise
- What does being SuperHuman mean to an expert like Ben Greenfield?
- The 4-component exercise regimen for all-around excellent physical health
- Sympathetic vs. Parasympathetic nervous system activation
- What time of day should you do what types of exercise?
- Why intermittent fasting and exercising while fasted works so well
- The value behind standing desks
- Compound lifts, and how they increase testosterone and overall physical health
- Adapting Ben's recommended exercise regimen for a competitive athlete
- Ben's thoughts on diet and nutrition, and how people's needs vary
- How would Ben “clean up” someone who was coming off an average American diet?
- How do people with different ancestries react differently to specific dietary plans?
- What exactly does Ben Greenfield eat every day?
- Thoughts on eating the same foods every single day
- Thoughts on glycemic index, insulin sensitivity, carb backloading, and carbohydrates
- Ben's thoughts on CrossFit, the prevalence of overtraining, and where it falls short
- Ben's approach to supplementation and choosing the right ones for you
Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Hypoxico Altitude Training Systems (Or this much more affordable option)
- Pu-erh tea
- Standing desks (my article on how to make one)
- Standing desk floor matts such as Topo (I'm waiting on mine!)
- The Westin A. Price Diet
- Non-dairy protein powders such as Pea, Rice, or Hemp Protein
- DIY testing companies WellnessFX, Direct Labs, Genova Diagnostics, and Inside Tracker
- Ben Greenfield's many books (please use this link!)
- Ben Greenfield's site, which includes his exceptional podcast